NOTE. In AY2016-17, we would welcome applications with substantial coverage of regions or communities where the GSC less commonly taught languages (LCTL) are spoken: Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Persian/Farsi, Portuguese, Swahili, and Turkish.
Budget: When preparing your budget, please follow these guidelines
- Include all anticipated project/travel expenses, not just those for which you request funding.
- If airfare is part of your budget, include a fare quote from a travel agent or travel website.
- For meals and lodging, do not exceed the U.S. State Department per diem rates: www.pts.pitt.edu/Travel/common/perdiem.html.
- Indicate whether the other funding has been secured or requested.
Non Allowable Expenses:
- Airline tickets for travel outside the US. Tickets must be purchased on US carriers, with exceptions for select countries as per the Fly America Act. Note that funds can only be approved when a 35-day notice prior to travel is provided to the GSC.
- Actual original related food, lodging, and incidental expenses will be reimbursed up to the US Department of State per diem rate (www.pts.pitt.edu/Travel/common/perdiem.html);
- Conference or workshop registration;
- Copy and duplication costs;
- Visa expenses;
- Instructional Materials (e.g., databases, monographs, periodicals, films, or electronic media);
- Bibliographic searches
- Writing and production of original resource materials, exercises, or handbooks
Proposal Narrative: All applications must describe how the proposed activities relate to one or more of the Global Studies Center's foci.
- Travel for individuals other than applicant
- Any expenses unrelated to proposed activity
The research project should not exceed two pages (excluding requested attachments). Applicants should also provide:
- the abstract of the paper to be presented;
- evidence of your paper's acceptance by the conference organizers;
- a current CV.
Funding for GSC faculty grants is provided by the Office of the Provost; all spending must comply with University budgetary regulations. Arrangements for processing these funds must be made with the GSC UCIS Financial Administrator (Ms. Rose Wooten, email@example.com) by May 15, 2017, and the funds spent or transferred by June 15, 2017. Grant recipients are responsible for fully completing the Travel and Business Expense Form (T & B) and providing all applicable documentation, including original receipts, to Ms. Wooten. Recipients must acknowledge the assistance of the Global Studies Center and the Office of the Provost in any publication, film, or other product resulting from funds supported by your GSC grant.
The grant recipient must provide the GSC with a one-page written report within three weeks following completion of the project. The report must include:
- how the funds were utilized;
- a travel schedule (where you went and the dates spent at each locale);
- what you accomplished.
Further details are available at http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/global/funding_pittfaculty
Questions about the International Travel Grants or the application process should
be directed to
Veronica Dristas (firstname.lastname@example.org